Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cradling Eternity


His skin was wrinkled and dry, almost like a little old man's. But he possessed a pair of lungs and a healthy cry that could be heard even from within the warm, humidified isolette that enclosed him. That cry nearly belied the fact that he was still at the age where he should have been cocooned in the quiet safety of his mother's womb. 

I am just a volunteer in the special care nursery of Mae Sot General hospital. I don't pass medications, I don't start scalp IV's, and I don't do assessments on these preterm infants (as much as I'd like to).  I do what I can without overstepping legal boundaries of practice and comforting a crying baby is one thing that I can do.

I stepped over to the isolette where the little man was making his presence known. The pamper that was the size of the ones they make for little girls to put on their dollies was nice and dry. His blanket roll was smooth, his IV site looked fine, and he had just drank an ounce or two of milk. There was no obvious reason why this infant should be 
crying full throttle. 

I opened up the side chambers of the isolette, just big enough to slip your hands through. Gently, I lifted the baby boy and propped him up into a sitting position supported by my one hand with the other resting on his back. Instantly, the crying ceased and he relaxed completely within my hands. His eyes closed and he became 
the picture of perfect contentment. 

It was one of those sacred moments. When everything else around you fades into oblivion, and your practical sense of earthly reality is touched by the breath of Heaven. 

As I cradled this fragile, premature human being within my hands, skin to skin, I had this awed awareness:
"I am holding a bit of Eternity." 




This child is a life. He is a living soul breathed into a tiny frame of flesh and blood. His is a soul that will exist forever. Wrapped up within the miracle of humanity is the eternity of a soul created by the Giver of life. 

That soul was born to Burmese parents only a few days before in the small border town of Mae Sot, Thailand, and now was living and breathing in a small isolette in a corner of the nursery of a government hospital. I am an American nurse, living in the small border town of Mae Sot, Thailand, for only three months and now spending one day a week in the nursery of a government hospital. At this precise point of my lifetime spanning close to three decades and his little life in the big world barely begun, our paths intersected in the nursery of that government hospital. 

Divine Design. There was no coincidence that I was in that place at the same time as this premature child. As I held him, marveling at how God uses our human hands to touch hallowed reminders of Eternity here on earth, I prayed for that little one and his family. I have never met his parents. For all I know, they are refugees living in a camp, or displaced within their own country of Myanmar and seeking medical care across the border, Buddhist, or animistic, or Muslim. Was this child even wanted or was he abandoned by his mother after birth just like the baby boy found by police under a nearby bridge? I don't know the answer to those questions. But I didn't feel the need to know. 

What I do know is that this child has been given life and his life has a purpose. His purpose is to grow up to glorify the Giver of life, His Heavenly Father. What if he never hears of the One who created him and placed him here in this place, for this time in history? Whose fault is it if he does not have someone to teach him about Jesus? What is my role to play in this child's life? 

One day. A few mere moments. Short, heart-felt prayers breathed over him.

That's all. The curtain is closed and my role is finished. It was not a leading role. It wasn't even a supportive role. If anything at all, it was the part of a backstage hand, one of many nameless workers whom the audience never sees but who can either make or break the production depending on how seriously they take their role. 

Every life is beautiful. 
Every life is beautiful because every life has {Eternity} stamped upon it. 

Every day we constantly encounter opportunities that are so much more than the routine happenings that we think they are. It may be only for a few moments, but you smiled at the young woman behind you at the check out counter, and she sensed a genuinely caring spirit. Or it's the day you had a flat tire and while you were waiting for it to get fixed, God prompted you to pray for the mechanic. Maybe you offered a helping hand to the elderly lady approaching the door and she saw Jesus-in-you. Or you opened up your wallet and used your "coffee money" to buy a sandwich at Subway for the homeless man you pass on your way to work every morning. 

Someday, we will see the rest of the story. Someday, we will hear the Father say, "Well done, my child" as He introduces us to the the person who is in Heaven because of a prayer we said for them that we don't even remember...but the seed was sown. 

Like the precious, fragile infant resting in my hands, we may be cradling Eternity and never even realize it.


2 comments:

  1. Olá Katelyn, como vai?

    Fiquei muito feliz em confessar ser do Senhor Jesus.

    Que o Senhor Jesus Cristo te abençoe, te livre, e te guarde.

    Fique na paz com o Senhor.

    Obriado, e até mais.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish every woman considered life like you do! God bless you for taking time for the important things! Keep on giving LIFE!

    ReplyDelete